Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Sleek Storm palette and why you need it! Review, Swatches & Comparisons.

I've reviewed Sleek palettes before (Oh So Special and Sunset in case you're interested) and I've said it before, but I'll also say it again: these babies are excellent value for money. Sleek palettes offer 12 pigmented (mostly) eyeshadows for $9.99. WIN.

Sleek is a makeup brand available in UK drugstore. However, their products are also available for international purchases on their website. I'm a big fan of these shadows - they are smooth and pigmented, and last all day on my primed eyelids. Bonus: Pixiwoo uses these palettes all the time in their makeup tutorials.


The colors look a bit washed out in my swatches, but I promise that these shadows are very potent.

For fun, I compared some of these shadows to what I already had in my collection to see if there were any dupes. Surprisingly, nothing really matched!

Sleek #4, MAC Woodwinked, Bare Minerals The Playlist Palette shadow in Louder, L'Oreal Infallible in Sahara Treasure. As you can see, none of them match up at all. And they're definitely the closest match as everything else I own is much yellower than #4.

Sleek #5, MAC All That Glitters, Bare Minerals The Happy Place palette shadow in Imagine, Estee Lauder Violet Underground's pale pink shadow. Sleek's #5 shadow pulls a bit more mauve than most of my pinky shadows. This shadow is really gorgeous on the lid.

Sleek #7, MAC Bronze, MAC Mulch, Dior Aurora palette the brown shade, L'Oreal Bronze Taupe. (sidenote: I need to use Bronze Taupe STAT it is so beautiful). Sleek #7 is absolutely GORGEOUS. This is definitely my favorite from the palette. It applies so smoothly and doesn't crumble like some of the softer shadows. I think MAC's Bronze is the most similar to it, but Bronze has a dryer texture than Sleek's #7 shadow. Seriously, #7 is one finger swipe. It's awesome.

And finally, Sleek's #10, Estee Lauder's Violet Underground palette in the blue shade, and MAC's Contrast. #10 is quite similar to MAC's Contract, but Contrast was pretty much 15 vigorous finger swipes to make it look even. #10 wins by far.

Now there are minor disadvantages to the shadows. For one, they do have a bit of fall-out if you're not careful when applying them. They do not fall out during the day, but application can be tricky with the softest of shadows (#5 is a bit problematic) as they can have a tendency to crumble. For me, a bit of fall-out is nothing a swipe of foundation brush can't fix. Also, most of my Sleek palettes, including this one, have duds. The duds here are #3 and #7. They're not horrible, but they're not as pigmented as the other shades, and they apply a bit patchy and dry. I don't love MAC's matte shadows, but they are much better than the two Sleek mattes in this palettes.

Favorites in this palette include #1, #5, #7, #8, and #9. Based on these shadows, I think the palette is worth it. Especially at such a low price point. Some of these shadows aren't colors I would consider wearing on a day-to-day basis, but are really great for a dark smoky eye on a night out.

Hope this review was somewhat helpful in helping you decide whether it's worth it!



14 comments:

  1. This is the palette I want if I decide to place an order! Beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's probably the most versatile :) Let me know if you go for it!

      Delete
  2. Whoaaaa. Slee #7 is so up my alley. *Dies* Do you have UD Roach or Twice Baked to compare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't, sorry :( Wish I did because UD Roach looks amazing!

      Delete
  3. Hi Annick!

    I have a few of these palettes but always forget to use them! I need to experiment a bit more with these!
    I agree with you, the colors are very pigmented! Great value for money!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Happy weekend! ❤

    Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Anne! I'm guilty of forgetting to use them too! Such a shame!

      Delete
  4. Great review!

    I also have these palettes, but rarely use them. I will definately get out my Storm palette this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I love rediscovering products! Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. These Sleek palettes are the same price as ULTA ones, but look much better. I look forward to trying one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it! :) I've never seen the ULTA ones, I'm curious now!

      Delete
  6. Sleek are my favourite eyeshadows ever! I rarely buy MAC ones anymore since I can get a whole palette for cheaper. I used to have Storm when it first came out but I actually finished it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, Christine, you finished up a whole palette? That's like medal worthy in beauty blogger world! :) Glad you like them as much as I do :)

      Delete
  7. I keep hearing about Sleek makeup but haven't tried it out before. The brand makes me think of Inglot - sort of with a following but somehow under the radar, too. I'll have to check the brand out, these palettes are lovely Annick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Inglot is totally on my radar! But I agree, Sleek is sort of in the same line as Inglot - it has a great following and the people who love Sleek REALLY love it.

      Thanks for the comment! <3

      Delete