Friday, December 28, 2012

NARS Mayflower lipstick - Review & Swatches

Hi everyone!

I'm back and ready to blog! Has everyone had a good holiday? Mine was great. I ate loads of food, had really fun family time and got to see some friends who live out of town. Perfection. Plus, I got spoiled by my parents, siblings and boyfriend for Christmas. Couldn't have imagined a better Christmas. Better yet, I have a few days to relax before I go back to work.

What better way to ease back into blogging by talking about one of my most used lipsticks lately, NARS Mayflower!

I find this lipstick so easy to slap on with a neutral eye - it's what I've done for the past month before heading out the door!

I first heard of this shade over at Cute and Mundane where Dovey compared a few of her NARS lipstick faves. I knew it was grand time I give NARS a shot (I've only owned their Laguna bronzer!) and purchased Mayflower, a fresh pink with silver glitter. 

 I'm not sure how I feel about NARS packaging yet. No problems as of yet anyway!

Mayflower swatched on my lips. It's quite glossy!

And swatched on my arm for reference. My skin tone is usually around a NW15 in MAC.

I find NARS' Mayflower actually pull a bit coral on my skintone - I don't mind this, but it's something to keep in mind. The lipstick's silver glitter is also a bit gritty. For a $30 lipstick, this I do mind. It's not terribly irritating, but the lipstick definitely doesn't feel smooth on the lips. I find the grittiness can emphasize dry lips, although for me at the moment, pretty much any lipstick will do this.

I do like that this lipstick is moisturizing. My lips do not feel dry after wearing Mayflower, which given the formula, I expected it would. Also, I found it wore reasonably long - my lipstick was mostly on after 4 hours (which I think is good for a sheer/glossy lipstick).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this lipstick. If gritty glitter bothers you in general, I suggest trying this lipstick on before purchasing. It doesn't bother me too much, but it definitely isn't pleasant. I love that the color is a no-brainer. I don't need to think two about putting it on - it goes with any makeup. Although at $30, I doubt I'll be repurchasing.

Thank you for reading! I'll be back soon with a few reviews and hopefully a best of the year post!




10 comments:

  1. this color looks beautiful on you.
    i don't like bigger glitters in my lipstick but i think they give the unique finish in this particular color.
    thanks for your review. i haven't tried any nars lippie, yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Lena! I'll be reviewing a couple more NARS lipsticks shortly and they don't have glitter bits so you might find something you'd like to try in those :)

      Delete
  2. The color of this looks great Annick! It does pull coral but it still looks lovely. However, the grittiness of the shimmer would be a dealbreaker for me, especially at a higher price point. That's one of the biggest reasons I don't like the Revlon lip butter I have - and that's much cheaper! I'm glad it doesn't bother you too much though, because the shade is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that grittiness is a deal breaker - totally find the same thing in the Revlon Lip butters too! You're right, the shade is gorgeous. I think I'll save it mostly for summer when my lips aren't dry which makes any lipstick feel gritty!!

      Thanks so much for the comment! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this colour! It's so perfect for an everyday makeup. So perfect for your skin tone too :)

    xoxo Alison
    www.stylingmylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a gorgeous neutral beautiful shade!

    Check out my blog at: Caught in a Daze.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the look of everything you've mentioned! NARS Mayflower looks beautiful, and I'm also in love with the Glossy Stains :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stunning color on you! Glad your Holidays went swell.:)!

    ReplyDelete