Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Z Palette Review

Because of a recent massive makeup clean out, which included extensive depotting, I decided to purchase the famous Z Palette to house some leftovers from my existing 15 MAC pan palettes. I also was in need of a smaller palette for traveling. Both were perfect excuses for the purchase.

After doing a bit of internet research on if there is a Canadian retailer who would be able to ship the Z Palette to me, and old SparkledBeauty post lead me to Hollynorth.com, a production supplies retailer. In retrospect, their shipping charges were the same as the Z Palette website, I just saved myself the cross-border duty. Damn overpriced Canadian shipping charges! Shipping was very prompt and customer service was excellent. They have a great selection of theatre makeup in case anyone is interested.



Smut and Haux, hanging in a Z Palette.

Overall, I am very happy with this palette. I got the small palette but there is a larger version (about the same size as a MAC pro 15 pan). It is made of sturdy cardboard and the magnet, which is safely sandwiched between pieces of cardboard, is very strong and had no problem holding my MAC shadows and blushes. It can house 2 MAC blushes and 2 MAC shadows or 9 MAC shadows. It can't hold more than 2 MAC blushes at a time. The palette also comes with magnet stickers to stick to your depotted shadows/blushes. Stupidly, I forgot about those until now and used my own stickers I cut up from a magnet sheet. My work with scissors is a lot less neat. The palette is also strongly magnetized at the seam so there is no problem with the palette opening in your makeup bag.

I kind of wish the palette wasn't so "shiny". I know, minor complaint, but it sticks out like a sore thumb compared to my matte and sleek black 15 pans. I suppose the finish is to protect the cardboard - that's a good reason for it really, so my minor complaint is moot. The Z Palette also comes in a few other colors, including zebra print, leopard print and pink.

If you have shadows lying around you don't quite know what to do with or where to put, I highly suggest this palette. I can already see a lot of use for it in my traveling for the next month. Plus, it's always fun packing up a small palette with blushes and eyeshadows and trying out the combo for the week. I find it fun anyway! The palette retails at $14 USD on the Zpalette.com website.

If you haven't done so already, please enter my 50 follower giveaway here! There is some good prizes to be won, including your shade of choice of a Rouge in Love lipstick by Lancome!



3 comments:

  1. I've always wondered about these palettes; they look handy, but oh gosh, I would totally destroy my shadows if I tried to depot :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha it's definitely an art! But it's not too hard it you take your time doing it. I use my straightener to melt the glue and then use a knife to gently pry the pan. And that's it! I've cracked a few things myself though hahaha.

      Delete
  2. I really want to invest in one of these palettes for my kit to put blushers in. Hopefully it'll save me some space and reduce the weight of my train-case from all the excess packaging. xx

    ReplyDelete