Sunday, May 29, 2011

Elusive polishes advice

There are two times I can remember having missed out on some polishes and still remember those two times very clearly. Mostly because I've spent the last year kicking myself for not picking them up.

Once, I had a Borghese polish called Purple Confetti in hand. Twas on sale. There I was, in Shoppers Drug Mart, walking around, la de da, with an amazing polish in hand, on sale. Then, inexplicably, I put it back where it went and walked out. Ugh, I'm seriously kicking myself on that one. Especially since it's navy counterpart was also on sale. And I could both have them right now.

The other time was when I spotted some Nubar glitter polishes at Winners. We don't get Nubar where I live. I had the purple glitter in hand, then put it back, telling myself that I didn't really need it, and besides, purple isn't really my color. So stupid. We never got any Nubars back unfortunately. And now I'm Nubar-less.

So, I've sort of decided that picking up a polish depends on three things:
1. Is it going to be there in a few weeks? If so, you don't really need it because it's always gonna be on the shelf and nobody cares about polish here so it won't be sold out. If it isn't going to be there, is it on sale? If not, pick it up anyway.
2. Do I have anything that looks like this in my collection?
3. Do I even really like this color. Even if I'm kicking myself about the Nubar, glitter isn't really my thing. Purple even less.

Here's a polish I had in hand once and put back. I picked it up yesterday thinking it MIGHT sell out because it was the last one on the shelf at Wal-Mart.


Oh yes, it's Wet & Wild's Grey's Anatomy. I'm very happy I picked it up.


At first I was like "why is it called Grey's Anatomy?" because it's obviously green with a purple duochrome.

As you can see in the next picture though, at first glance, it is kind of grey.


See with the green in the next picture?


And see with the lilac in the next? Yeah, sorry about the picture diarrhea, but it's very very hard to capture this polish.


Weird eh? I quite like it though. It's very different and I hear it's also a dupe for Deborah Lippmann's Wicked Games. 

So the lesson here today: pick up those elusive polishes and run to the cash register. Or slip them subtly in your purse. Kidding. But really, this one is definitely worth getting if you happen to see it in your area.

Billie agrees. Meorrwwww.

2 comments: